Thursday, May 27, 2010

To Sun or Not to Sun?

What a struggle! With all of the information we know about the dangers of being out in the sun, exposing our skin to UV rays, skin cancer - ahhh! What to do?!? I just so happen to ADORE the sun, the warm feeling it creates, the slight glow it adds to the skin...but the slice of skin missing from my back due to "pre-cancerous cells" always makes me second-guess the decision to go outside.

This summer, I think a compromise is in order: a little sun, a little cheating - how about a suncreen mixed with self-tanner? I'm going to test a spray that has a botanically-based self tanner plus SPF.

This is my first summer home with the kids, so I can't NOT go in the pool with them, right? And, I spoke with a dermatologist about protection suggestions for the little ones - she recommended the swim shirts with hats at all times. And actual sunscreen LOTION, not the spray kind - she said the lotion is more effective.

And then after the sun, I'll test a formula which contains avocado oil that is supposed to moisturize and repair dry skin. It also includes ingredients that help restore the skin’s delicate moisture balance (and has anti-aging stuff...cool).

We shall see! What about you? What are your summer protection plans?

2 comments:

  1. I grapple with this too - I'm 27 with medium skin and I've been in the sun without protection for over 10 years - I tan beautifully and it helps my acne. Now I am going to purchase for the first time ever some sunscreen because if I don't I know that I'll wrinkle way sooner than I should! Good luck and post about anything that works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted - you and I are in similar boats with this! Well, I've tried the spray-on suncreens, and (while convenient) they just didn't protect my children or me as well as a lotion. Go figure. Ugh.

    The after-sun lotion, though, is outstanding. My skin felt soooo moisturized and good after using it. It's called "After Glow" - definitely one of our must-have's this summer. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin