Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Basics of Aromatherapy

Wow - learned some new information today on aromatherapy. I knew there was a logic behind the different scents, and certain ones definitely help with moods...but this seems to make a lot of sense, especially in regards to one of my all-time favorites - sea salt scrubs:

The word “aromatherapie” was first used by a French biochemist in the 1930s. He is believed to have burned his arm during a lab experiment. After the accident, he rushed to soak his arm in the closest available cold liquid, which turned out to be a tub of lavender oil. Not only did the scientist gain relief, he then studied aromatherapy for the remainder of his career. Who knew?

Before my wedding, I was first introduced to a sea salt scrub...heavenly. All of the dead surface cells are sloughed away revealing brighter, healthier-looking skin. On my actual wedding day morning, I had a professional sea salt scrub, and my skin was so soft and pretty that day. I've been using a scrub at home ever since, and the ingredient list below helps me understand why it makes me feel so alive. Go figure! These are things to look for in your own scrubs/aromatherapy:

Lemon for vitality, toning and freshness.


Coriander leaves you feeling joyful and happy.
Kukui oil is a rich emollient that soothes and softens skin.
In addition to its natural antiseptic and anti-irritant properties, birch oil is generally used to tone the skin and promote circulation.

And besides being a great snack, did you know that sunflower seeds produce sunflower oil, which is the vegetable oil that is highest in vitamin E? Naturally high in essential fatty acids, sunflower oil moisturizes and conditions the skin.

Feeling softer already...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin