Thursday, April 22, 2010

What I've Learned about Eyebrows

Over the past several months of helping women transform their look with simple makeup tricks, the most powerful (and unexpected) lesson I've learned is that eyebrows can completely change the look of your face...they can "open" your eyes and draw attention in an amazing way. But most of us skip this quick and easy step in our makeup routine.

My experience of late has been that many women have their eyebrows waxed or tweezed, but the work stops at that point. Here are a few brief tips on getting the most from your brows:

1. Select an eyebrow pencil a few shades lighter than your hair color (or light brown for blondes)...in fact, it seems that very light brown is quite flattering on most brows.

2. Using short motions, fill in your brow going against the hairs (make the strokes go towards the center of the forehead/bridge of nose...not towards the temples).

3. Brush brows in the opposite direction to smooth them, and hold them in place with an eyebrow gel or wax (or hair gel in a pinch).

Whala! You have framed your eyes and drawn attention to one of your most beautiful assets.

8 comments:

  1. it's funny what women have to go through to feel beautiful [and presentable to the world] and men rarely do anything beyond a quick shower and a shave.
    eve got the short end of the stick on so many levels.
    !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my eyebrows!!! Great tips!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon - agreed! The funny thing is that my husband actually does quite a bit of "maintenance" beyond shower/shave, so I can't complain...I appreciate the fact that he works hard to look good.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great you have created a place for women to come and learn tips to help them feel better abou themselves.

    Happy ICLW(#70)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much - let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'm happy to include on here!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always had a love/hate relationship with my eyebrows. I have VERY thin eyebrows, and using pencils makes me nervous. I feel like it draws too much attention to them. When I used to do live theatre, I would always have them penciled in so darkly; one of the notes I would get all the time was that the director could never see my eyebrows from the audience if they weren't filled in with pencil.

    Happy ICLW!

    ~Miriam (ICLW #140) Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in a love/hate relationship with my eyebrows. I'm a low-maintenance chick so going to the salon to get them done is out of the question for me. I pluck them and do a pretty good job. I just wish I had somebody else's. This post is encouraging. I'll try your tips and see if I can at least develop a tiny little crush on them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin